Saturday, April 17, 2010

TODAY ~ ~ ~


Was the Gathered Treasures show in Mansfield, Ohio and a good time was had by all!!  This is my booth ~ we can really cram a lot of stuff in a 10' x 10' space!!  It was such a nice show ~ very primitive antiques, home decor, garden accessories and a little bit of rug hooking!  It was a fun day ~ I love doing shows but the old girl is tired for sure!  After we set up yesterday, we went to our local homebuilders reverse raffle last night!  At 10 o'clock I came home and left the kids in charge of the old guy ~ he got home 45 minutes after me ~ we'd had a long day!!!!!  Tonite we went out to dinner with our friends Lou & Vivian, who did the show also. Came home, unloaded the truck and I'm doing laundry and packing for my trip to Pennsylvania tomorrow!  Three of us who did the show and some other gals are heading to Barbara Carroll's for a 3-day class!  Three days of non-stop hooking and eating great food!!  I better pack the walking shoes!!

Today, a gal who reads my blog, and knew that I was doing this show, brought in this antique rug to see if I knew what it was!  She thought it was similar to rug hooking but it's really very different and another form of traditional craft. I believe it is 'shirring' ~ the strips of wool are stitched to a foundation fabric with a small running stitch down the middle of the strip ~ then both sides are brought to an upright position and another strip stitched right next to it.  As strips are added they support each other and they form a type of pile ~ it is very interesting and the tag on it had a date of 1867 ~ it is in wonderful condition and the color is still very good.  The rug is backed with what is now a pretty fragile fabric but only has one little hole it.  The owner said she thought it came from a museum ~ whoever sold it to her was selling a lot of museum quality items at a garage sale ~ I think I have that right!  I was really happy to have a look at it and think she has quite a find!  Thank you for bringing it in, my nameless friend!!

We had such fun neighbors across the aisle today ~ Rhonda and her friend, Stacie (both rug hookers) and Rhonda's mom and sister!  So lively and kinda crazy ~ and the two rug hookers were great little shoppers!!

Okay ~ I have to go to my bed now!  I'll try to post when I return Wednesday night! Until then, Sonny boy and my sitter, Barb, are holding down the fort for me so I can be foot loose and fancy free for a couple of days!  Have a great week!!
Alice

6 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Alice ~
So good to see you yesterday! Have fun in PA and share lots with us when you return!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren
P.S. I absolutely LOVE my little pug. Thanks for the encouragement...lol!

weaverpat said...

Hi Alice,
Glad you had a great show!
Now off to fun in PA!

My first rug hooking instructor (more years ago than I want to admit!) told us about the shirred rugs. She said they were earlier than hooked ones. Thanks for sharing the pictures. It's a lovely rug!

laurie said...

It was so nice to run into at the show! It was fun and not to much damage to my pocketbook:)

Jeanne (RED) said...

Alice,
Your booth looked very inticing! I hope you did well. And what fun, going to Barbara's!!!
Enjoy yourself--how could you not!?
Jeanne

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lamiss ibrahim said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.