Monday, October 19, 2015

OUR NEXT CRUISE STOP ~ ~ ~







Halifax, Nova Scotia was our second cruise stop. It's a big city ~ very beautiful city!






We were picked up by bus and our first visit was to the Hooked Rug Museum of North America in Queensland, Nova Scotia. It was founded by Hugh and Suzanne Condron ~ definitely their labor if love







There are lots of vintage rugs and also contemporary rugs. It was suggested that I only take photos of the older ones.







This rug depicts the peddlar, E. S. Frost and his wagon.





These are templates and an old time printing machine that stamped out patterns. The templates are hand-carved ~ works of art on their own.






Two original stamped patterns ~ I would be happy to frame and hang them as they are. Several years ago, I was offered a stamped Frost pattern for $150!!!!! I passed on the opportunity.







The museum is temperature controlled and this is one of the rooms.







Very nice rug ~ they all are in very good condition and displayed perfectly.



















These three rugs are made from strands of twine hooked into feedback backing. They were very interesting and there were quite a few on display.

There were so many rugs that it was hard to take it all in. Would love to spend more time there. They were very gracious and had refreshments for us and there's a wonderful shopping area of rugs and mats to buy.

If you ever get the opportunity, you should go ~ a rug hookers dream!

If you double click the photos, they show much better! They're taken with my iPhone.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone



6 comments:

Julia said...

Thanks for sharing pictures of your cruise stop at the N.S. Rug Museum. I've never visited that place yet.

Hugs,
JB

Saundra said...

That must have been a very interesting visit. I didn't realize the Three Bears was an ES Frost design, I've been wanting to hook that for a while now. Thanks for the guided tour.

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

I'm not sure that it is a Frost pattern ~ I enlarged the photo and couldn't really tell what the words are. I would guess there were other printed pattern makers other than Frost? Wish I had looked closer!

acorn hollow said...

Oh it looks wonderful!
Cathy

Rugs and Pugs said...

Looks like a wonderful place to visit.
Thanks for the tour.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Wendie Scott Davis said...

How fun to travel and see these places "for real". And how awesome that Sonny comes along and is a big part of the fun.
I love to travel along vicariously with you. Next summer is my 65th and the Newfoundland School is my destination - lots of stops along the way from Ontario. I promise to share as you have on your trip. Thank you.