Friday, May 14, 2010

MORE DYED WOOL ~ ~ ~


Today, I dyed a little more of my multi colors ~ these have a little more color than the photo shows but they're kind of beachy looking ~ soft greens and blues ~ the one at the left looks a little more like sky and clouds!  Go figure!!!

This is my oh-so-scientific method of dying!  Looks good doesn't it?  I picked up this broiler pan at the thrift store for $2.00 (I'm learning from my online friend, Kim of Threadheads Unite blog) and it works great for the kind of dying I've been working on.  You need something flat to spread out the wool and then start throwing colors around and voila ~ ~

I ended up with this!!!  The difference in shades are due to the base wool color that I began with.  The lighter brighter one was dyed over white wool ~ the darker duskier color was dyed over oatmeal wool.  Each has their appeal ~ I call them Hydrangea and Hydrangea Antique. The duskier one is perfect for a very primitive look and the lighter is just plain gorgeous and can be used in a variety of rugs!

So that's it for today ~ the truck is packed and we're off to the hook-in tomorrow!  I'm excited and can't wait!  There will be lots of gals there that I know and it's always fun to see what everybody is hooking ~ I'll take pictures and will fill you in on the fun in a day or two!!!  Ta ta for now!     Alice


P.S. Two posts in one day is amazing!!

4 comments:

Deb said...

Those wools came out wonderful. I really like both shades of them.

Reading up a storm said...

What will you do with the material? Quilt, use for a background?

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Thanks for the compliments!! Natalie, the wool I dye is primarily for rug hooking or wool applique ~ but actually, quilters use wool now, too! In answer to your previous question, all the fabric I dye is wool, using acid dyes. I believe there is another type of dye that is used for batik, etc. Thanks for asking!

acorn hollow said...

The colors are beautiful! Do you have a rug you are dying for? I always try to dye for a certain project and then the color is never just what I want so I get very frustrated and don't dye that much.